Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Chelsea Teddy Bear & Toy Museum




I finally visited the Chelsea Teddy Bear & Toy Museum in Chelsea, Michigan. The museum curator, Ken Yenke, is a noted antique teddy bear authority, and shares his wonderful antique teddy bear collection in this excellent museum. I can't even pick my favorites, but I have to share a few here. I have a special love for the circus, and clown bears, so this first one just cracked me up. This is a Strunz clown bear from 1908. Love his chubby body. Next is a real oldie, German made from 1880, this Mom and baby bear are made of paper mache and worsted wool. Love these 1800's bears, reminds me of an old German nodder I have with the same worsted wool. In 1907 Columbia made their laughing Roosevelt bear. Certainly none other like it, smiling with glass teeth. Cute touch here with a pipe added. Can't wait to visit the museum again. I'm sure they'll have a nice Christmas display soon.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooooh: the Chelsea Teddy Bear Museum! I haven't been there yet, but it's on my list of Places to Go. Thanks for sharing your pictures: I love the Laughing Roosevelt Bear (that's a teddy that's long been on my Wish List).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to go Tracy...you'll love it. Laughing Roosevelt has been on my list as well, he's so great. I'll share some more pictures later.

    ReplyDelete