Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Antique Teddy Bear Hunt


Heading south for the winter has become a yearly tradition for me for several years now. There's lots of quality antique shows to sell at, buy buying has always been challenging for me. And of course, that's the fun part of my business...finding new bear friends and their toys and accessories. There just aren't many primitives around down here, and antique teddy bears are just plain hard to find anywhere. I'm accustomed to weekly auctions and estate sales back in Michigan, but antique auctions down here are few and far between. And estate sales are basically unheard of...which is something I truly don't get, with all the seniors down here...go figure. But I keep plugging along, searching all the time. I was shopping at a weekly flea market on the way home from a 3 day antique show, actually getting some good prims. I was toodling down the aisle, when I spotted him. OMG...He sat there looking at me, begging me to take him home. I happened upon a handsome teddy bear that I quickly grabbed. Of course, the dealer was sure he was an early Steiff and didn't hesitate at guaranteeing me that. I gave him my opinion, but didn't argue with him when he still insisted it was Steiff. German, English, American...they're all endearing to me. He was cute as a button, so into my cart he went. Now I'm toodling along with teddy sitting there, a happy camper, as I push him along. Okay, antique teddy bears are here, but you sure have to be on a bear hunt, which I always am.

2 comments:

  1. Great find, and I know exactly what you mean about "the hunt"! Isn't it funny, though, how so many dealers are always insistent that any old bear is a Steiff? Myself, I actually prefer other brands of bear. Although Steiff are beautiful, give me a quirky, battered British or American ted any day: they just have a lot more character, I feel! Anyway, congrats on your discovery! Will you be back to Michigan for the first Utica show???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy, I'm with you. I love the really early Steiffs, but I also love the quirky looking ones, the ones you can't identify because they're like no other. Yes, I'll be back in MI and at the May show...I'm sure I'll see you.

    ReplyDelete